Blaise Training Courses
2018 Training Schedule and Prices
All classes begin at 9:00 a.m. and end at 4:30 p.m. with a mid-day break from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. Enrollment is accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Basic Blaise 4.8 Training: $1,500 per student
- September 26-28, 2018
The Basic Blaise® 4.8 Training is a 3-day course that gives new Blaise developers the information they need to produce data collection instruments and run them in a production environment. The course is relevant for those working with computer-assisted telephone interviewing (CATI), computer-assisted personal interviewing (CAPI), and computer-assisted self-interviewing (CASI).
Westat has a team of trainers who have years of experience using and teaching Blaise in the United States and around the world. The course combines lecture and demonstration with practical, hands-on exercises that students work through at their own pace. Though programming experience is not required, students should be familiar with using computers and Windows®.
Basic Blaise 4.8 Training covers:
- Overview of the Blaise system
- Overview of Blaise instrument development
- Introduction to Blaise data models (data fields, execution rules, consistency checks, and creating new data types)
- Further programming in Blaise (blocks, procedures, tables, and primary and secondary keys)
- Developing instruments in a team environment (project-defined common blocks, standard type definitions, and development and testing of individual modules)
- Introduction to advanced programming in Blaise (using external data models, coding for keyword searches, and lookup schemes)
- Introduction to the system tool Manipula
- More advanced work with Manipula (initializing data files, selecting subsets of the data, linking multiple input data files, and writing reports)
- Working with Blaise metadata using the system tools Cameleon and Maniplus
- Overview of the Blaise CATI management system
Students may also introduce topics from their own work environment for discussion.
The Basic Blaise 5 Training is a 3-day course for experienced Blaise 4 programmers that gives developers the information they need to produce multimode data collection instruments and run them in a production environment. The course is relevant for those working with computer-assisted interviews running on desktop, laptop, and mobile platforms.
Basic Blaise 5 Training covers:
- The state-of-the-art Blaise 5 Control Centre
- Efficiency features such as Intellisense, keyword highlighting, snippets, and context sensitive help
- New language features such as ROLES, MODES, SPECIALANSWERS, and GROUPS
- Layout designer that allows screens to be viewed without running the instrument
- A case study that includes the development of a Master Page, utilization of presented topics and conversion of source code and data from Blaise 4 to Blaise 5
Those attending should be experienced programming in Blaise Version 4.8. Cost per person for all 3 days is $1,000.
The Advanced Blaise 5 Training is a 3-day course in designing screen layouts. It is recommended for programmers with some Blaise 5 experience. The class provides the information and techniques to design sophisticated multimode data collection instruments and run them in a production environment. The course is relevant for those working with computer-assisted interviews running on desktop, laptop, and mobile platforms.
Advanced Blaise 5 Training covers:
- Resource Editor
- Template Design
- Usage conditions for templates – ApplyAutomatically, ApplicabilityCondition, and ApplyAtRuntime
- Layout Sets
- Modes/Layout Set Groups
- Text Roles
- Input Controls and their properties
Cost per person for all 3 days is $1,000.
This is a 2-day introductory course on using Maniplus, the Blaise component that extends Blaise’s survey management capabilities. With Maniplus, users can develop laptop management systems, access Blaise data files without running the Data Entry Program, and perform complex data manipulations.
Topics covered include
- Overview and introduction to using Maniplus
- Creating and using menus and dialog boxes in a Maniplus setup
- Running other programs from Maniplus
- Customizing Maniplus applications
- Multiuser and network issues
Registration and Payment
To register for training, download the Blaise Training Order Form (PDF). Print and complete the form, and send it to
Westat 1600 Research Boulevard Rockville, MD 20850 USA Attn Blaise Services - RA 1394S Fax: 301-517-4053
Westat accepts checks; purchase orders; and some major credit cards, including VISA, MasterCard, and American Express. If you have any questions, contact Blaise Services at Westat. Classes may be cancelled or re-scheduled based upon the number of students enrolled. Blaise Services will confirm class registration based upon receipt of payment and total class enrollment.
Registrants who need to cancel their training class must do so by letter or email Blaise Services at Westat at least 7 business days in advance of the first training date to receive a full reimbursement. Registrants may transfer their registration to a colleague in their organization at any time. Please notify Westat of any such substitutions as soon as possible. Late cancellations may be billed at the full registration fee.
Training sessions are held at Westat Headquarter’s training and conference facility. Attendees must make their own hotel and travel arrangements, but Westat can provide a list of hotels within walking distance.
Client Site Training
Blaise training at the client’s location is available. For per-student fees and estimates of trainer travel and expenses, contact Blaise Services at Westat.