For the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS), Westat is serving as the data collection agent for the 2016-2019 Annual Survey of Jails in Indian Country (SJIC), a role we have performed for the 2007-15 surveys. We have conducted tasks in
- Survey and project management
- Survey operations
- Recommendations for survey improvements
- Initial planning for a Tribal Work Group
- Research on outreach to American Indian organizations to endorse the survey
- Conference presentations
The project has required close attention to maintaining facility cooperation as well as extensive data clarification and validation efforts. Facilities include those operated on reservations, pueblos, rancherias, and other types of areas.
The SJIC is critical to BJS’s efforts to respond to the Tribal Law and Order Act of 2010, which requires the agency to
- Establish and implement a tribal data collection system
- Support tribal participation in national records and information systems
Learn more about our previous work on this project.