Assessing HIV in Malawi and Zimbabwe
The HIV/AIDS epidemic continues to have severe impacts in sub-Saharan Africa.
In Malawi and Zimbabwe, Westat assisted ICAP at Columbia University to survey the prevalence of HIV and the availability of HIV prevention, care, and treatment services.
Working with ICAP and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, we provided technical support for the development and implementation of population-based HIV impact assessments (PHIAs) in Malawi and Zimbabwe.
We performed the following tasks
- Helped to define sample sizes and sampling plans
- Set up survey questionnaires on tablet computers for data collection
- Printed barcoded specimen labels
- Trained field supervisors to collect, edit, and upload data from the tablets to the central data servers
- Supported data management
- Conducted capacity-building training in Malawi and Zimbabwe on survey statistics and electronic data collection
We provided a final data set to ICAP and create a public-use data set.
Results of the surveys provided critical information on HIV and helped shape policies and programs to better confront the epidemic.