Improving the quality of medical labs in Africa
Cheikh Anta Diop University (CADU) in Dakar, Senegal is working to help improve the quality of medical laboratory testing in Africa.
Westat partnered with CADU to establish a proficiency testing program and provide free proficiency testing services to resource-limited countries in Africa.
Proficiency testing is necessary to improve the quality of medical laboratory testing and achieve international medical laboratory accreditation.
The proficiency testing program is funded through a cooperative agreement award with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Westat provides administrative and project management support for the proficiency testing program.
- We also provide technical support for selecting appropriate proficiency testing panels.
- Westat supports program monitoring and evaluation.
- We develop marketing tools to promote and ensure long-term success of this critical program.
- For the Nigerian National Medical Laboratory Strategic Plan, we coordinated assessments of more than 300 Nigerian laboratories, analyzed data, and developed a final report for the CDC and Nigerian Ministry of Health.
- We helped launch the HIV Rapid Testing Quality Improvement Initiative to improve the quality of HIV testing in Malawi, Tanzania, and Cameroon.
- The proficiency testing program has expanded rapidly to offer free proficiency testing services to more than 400 laboratories in 28 African countries.
- We are now working with CADU on other CDC initiatives to improve the quality of medical laboratory testing in Africa.