Supporting INCLUDES Coordination Hub to broaden participation and expand opportunities in STEM
The inclusion of talent from all sectors of American society is necessary for the health, vitality, and societal relevance of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).
The National Science Foundation’s (NSF’s) Inclusion across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science (INCLUDES) Coordination Hub is designed to catalyze collaborative efforts aimed at enhancing the preparation, participation, and contributions of individuals from historically underrepresented and underserved groups in the STEM enterprise.
The goal is to engage and empower a new generation of STEM talent and leadership that reflects the population of the nation.
Westat is a member of the NSF INCLUDES Coordination Hub, which leads, supports, and amplifies the NSF INCLUDES Network by
- Strengthening a common vision to improve equity and inclusion
- Brokering connections among Network members
- Using data to inform decisionmaking and assess progress
- Elevating members’ expertise
- Advancing the field through research by sharing discoveries, facilitating engagement, and catalyzing action
- Developing a web-based infrastructure that will document the progress Network members are making toward the attainment of STEM broadening participation outcomes
By leading and modeling how to implement collective action, the Hub will build member capacity to effect systems and policy change through responsive, universal, and targeted support aligned with the vision of NSF INCLUDES, one of NSF’s “10 Big Ideas.”
The ultimate goals are to effect systemic changes as they relate to advancing broadened participation in STEM by
- Working within existing systems to shift cultural and professional policies and practices
- Addressing gaps and challenges for continued and expanded success