Almost 40% of adults and 12% of children in the U.S. use complementary health approaches. The role of the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH), part of the National Institutes of Health, is to define, through careful research, the usefulness and safety of these approaches.
NCCIH (formerly NCCAM) asked Westat to manage its Clearinghouse, which is the public’s point of contact for timely and accurate information on complementary health.
- We write, produce, and update more than 100 fact sheets and publications each year. Our science writers and editors translate research results into health and safety messages for a general audience.
- We produce educational videos and eBooks on complementary health approaches, such as yoga and tai chi.
- We helped NCCIH develop a social media strategy to reach multiple audiences and build engagement.
- We write and conduct monthly Twitter chats featuring scientific experts.
- We developed and host NCCIH’s award-winning website in the Drupal content management system. The responsive design is based on usability testing and is Section 508 compliant.
- Our media specialists write press releases, monitor and analyze media coverage, pitch stories to journalists, run interviews, and respond to dozens of calls per month from reporters.
- NCCIH’s publications and website have won multiple public health and writing awards.
- NCCIH now has more than 35,000 Facebook fans and more than 32,000 Twitter followers.
- NCCIH directors have done interviews with major news outlets and been quoted in national publications.
- Our information specialists respond to thousands of queries in English and Spanish each year.
- Each year, we ship more than 20,000 publications in response to requests from the public.