Cheikh Anta Diop University (CADU) in Dakar, Senegal is working to help improve the quality of medical laboratory testing in Africa.
Westat partnered with CADU to establish a proficiency testing program and provide free proficiency testing services to resource-limited countries in Africa.
Proficiency testing is necessary to improve the quality of medical laboratory testing and achieve international medical laboratory accreditation.
The proficiency testing program is funded through a cooperative agreement award with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Westat provides administrative and project management support for the proficiency testing program.
- We also provide technical support for selecting appropriate proficiency testing panels.
- Westat supports program monitoring and evaluation.
- We develop marketing tools to promote and ensure long-term success of this critical program.
- For the Nigerian National Medical Laboratory Strategic Plan, we coordinated assessments of more than 300 Nigerian laboratories, analyzed data, and developed a final report for the CDC and Nigerian Ministry of Health.
- We helped launch the HIV Rapid Testing Quality Improvement Initiative to improve the quality of HIV testing in Malawi, Tanzania, and Cameroon.
- The proficiency testing program has expanded rapidly to offer free proficiency testing services to more than 400 laboratories in 28 African countries.
- We are now working with CADU on other CDC initiatives to improve the quality of medical laboratory testing in Africa.