Each year, an estimated 20% of the U.S. population is infected with influenza (flu) and more than 200,000 are hospitalized from flu-related complications. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) leads a campaign to drive steady increases in flu vaccination coverage over time. Westat worked with CDC to increase awareness of the importance of flu vaccination and to broaden the campaign’s reach through partnership engagement, digital media, traditional media, and evaluation.
- Our centerpiece strategy for reaching target audiences is partnership engagement―joining forces with companies, organizations, and other influencers that can effectively reach our target audience.
- Digital media tactics include a mix of paid and earned media strategies as well as digital content development. This included a first-to-market mobile gaming pilot test that set benchmarks for the industry and a creative UGC campaign leveraged to promote influenza vaccination.
- Traditional efforts include arranging interviews for CDC experts in top radio markets and distribution of matte articles for print and online placement.
- All work is grounded in data-driven decision that ensures we continually evaluate and evolve the campaign.
- Westat has engaged an array of non-traditional partners over multiple seasons, such as AARP, CVS/Caremark, LIVESTRONG, and the National Football League.
- Our digital campaigns have been recognized by the Hermes Creative Awards competition, garnering a Platinum award in Mobile Information Experience for our social gaming campaign, Gold in Government Video for a series of animated GIFs, and Honorable Mention in Digital Marketing Campaign for the #VaxWithMe “selfie” social media campaign.
- Digital outreach efforts secure placements across Twitter, Facebook, blogs, and other sites.
- Annual radio media tours generate 25+ million impressions.