Dentists who normally just see patients are now proposing ideas for research studies and helping to carry out the research in their offices. Their patients serve as the volunteer participants. This is all thanks to the National Dental Practice-Based Research Network (National Dental PBRN), a national consortium of practicing dentists and academic scientists.
Westat is helping to support the National Dental PBRN, which is headquartered at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and has 5 additional administrative offices around the country.
- We are collaborating with investigators on
- Study design and implementation
- Statistical analysis of study results
- Communications, including publishing and presenting study findings
- We are helping with program management, including
- Establishing a system for tracking the 5,000+ practitioners enrolled in the National Dental PBRN
- Establishing web sites for survey data collection and other data collection systems
- Managing the National Dental PBRN’s information technology systems
- The National Dental PBRN has 2 ongoing studies and 7 additional studies in development. Topics include cracked teeth, lesions on the biting surface of the teeth, dentin hypersensitivity, crown replacements, oral HPV, temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD), and root canal therapy.
- The National Dental PBRN is helping to move research findings into practice.