The National Assessment of Educational Progress, also known as NAEP or The Nation’s Report Card, is sponsored by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), which is part of the U.S. Department of Education.
We will be accepting new applications for NAEP 2024 data collection field positions in summer 2023. If you would like to be contacted when the application becomes available, please provide your email address and state of residence via the WorkNAEP site
NAEP involves conducting assessment sessions with 4th-, 8th-, and 12th-grade students in participating schools across the country. Most NAEP assessments last approximately 120 minutes. Sessions vary in size according to school guidelines. NAEP field staff will usually work in pairs, with a third staff member available regionally to assist as necessary. Larger school samples in key areas will require multiple teams to assess together.
NAEP field staff receive paid training for all job responsibilities, paid time and mileage reimbursement for local driving to and from schools, weekly paychecks (direct deposit available), and opportunities for advancement based on performance and location.
Qualified applicants should meet the following requirements:
- Be a U.S. citizen;
- Be fluent in English (persons speaking fluent English and Spanish are encouraged to
- Be comfortable working with technology;
- Be detail-oriented;
- Have the ability to work effectively on diverse teams;
- Be able to work with students in a classroom setting;
- Have the ability to lift 50 pounds of study equipment into and out of cars, with or
without a reasonable accommodation;
- Have a valid (current) driver’s license that is not under suspension, and have regular
access to reliable transportation to travel to and from schools;
- Be available for all required training and in-person meeting days with your team before
assessments begin; and
- Be available to work during school hours between January 29 and March 8, 2024. The data collection window may be extended due to weather or other delays.
If you have questions about the available positions before applying, email
NAEPRecruit@westat.com. NAEP field positions are temporary, part-time, non-exempt positions and are eligible for overtime pay. Pay rates are contingent upon geographic location and level of experience.
For NAEP Recruitment video transcript: WorkNAEP.com Descriptive Transcript (PDF).